Last Christmas I was asked to play the hymns in sacrament meeting. Our ward does not have a called organist and we therefore rotate through 7 different accompanists. So....I had previously played the piano because I am not an organist. I took an organ course my freshman year at BYU and I hated it. It is quite different from the piano and as a pianist I heavily use the pedal to make the music I play have the illusion of being smooth and when playing the organ you are not able to use that great feature. So...Christmas...how can we have the Christmas sacrament meeting with the piano...I couldn't do it. I went early to the ward Christmas party and just tried messing around on the organ to see if I could pull it off. Well..It sounded alright. Now, if you are an organist..I would be an embarrassment so I apologize for inadequately attempting to play this instrument. While practicing, my very good friend, Debbie asked if she could play with me. Of course... if we can make it a party, all the more enjoyable. We had a blast. She played the top register and I played the bottom and we used the cheater button to have the pedals copy what our hands did. Since then we have taken our turns playing the organ and with Debbie...it is fun. Well this past Sunday in the middle of sacrament meeting before the closing hymn Debbie needed to leave the chapel and I was left ALONE...I prevailed without incident but missed my partner terribly. It just isn't the same. I later found out that some in the congregation were concerned that I might need assistance. One of my young women was very nervous and concerned that I might not be able to play the closing hymn. I love that many know how much I rely on Debbie. She is irreplaceable in so many ways. SO... although I learned that I am able to play the organ alone...I prefer to play with Debbie.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yes...I was one of the concerned audience members. But I agree, you pulled it off beautifully. Great job!
Post a Comment