Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Symphonic Band Concert

Alexa is still playing the piano and the trumpet and she is doing such a good job. She is in the highest band in the junior high school and is one of only a few 7th graders in the band, most are 8th graders. She was told that piano practice can count towards her practice requirements so her piano playing has improved as well. Plus she has been motivated by some of my students who play more challenging pieces and she pushes herself to learn to play them as well. She learned Don't Stop Believing by Journey (the Glee version) and Michael Buble's, I just haven't met you yet. Her band preformed for the school's Veteran's Day program and it was awesome. I have a soft spot in my heart for our military and I think the Veteran's Day programs make me the most emotional. Alexa and the other trumpet players were able to play TAPS. I got chills. They also played the Armed Forces Medley and when those veterans in attendance heard their song they were to stand. It was a great program.
She recently had a winter band concert and it was just as cool. I never thought I'd like having her in the band but she loves it and it is really fun to watch and listen to. She has an awesome band director who makes it fun and encourages the kids to do their very best. Band is one of her favorite classes. One of my favorite parts is watching the kids keep rhythm by tapping their toes.
Sunday we had our Young Women in Excellence program at the church and the young women were able to perform. Alexa was going to play the piano but I convinced her she should play the trumpet. She chose Chariots of Fire and we were able to hook her accompanying music up to the sound system. She played it perfectly and I'm sure many wanted to stand up and start running in slow motion:-) I told her I think I was more nervous than she was. She didn't seem nervous. I'm so proud of her. She inspires me to be better in so many ways.

1 comment:

Jen said...

YOu guys have been up to a lot! Congrats to Kenzie she's got her priorities stright with food. You go girl! That's awesome about Alexa and band. ALex has started plaing the violin....and we were excited that he could play on account we never heard him practice. Life is good. Have a Merry Chirstmas!!!!