My brother, Matt, is training to run the St. George Marathon on October 1. As part of that training, he needs to log some long runs. I had started running a few months before the reunion and was able to complete 7 miles, which was half of the distance he was planning to run on Saturday morning. I figured I could go with him and then someone could come and pick me up when I was done. We left at 5:20am and ran from my parents house to the Hartville Chocolate Factory and then over to Lake High school and home. 14 miles. 2 hours and 30 minutes. I ran the whole way, minus a few hills and a bathroom break at the high school. I can't even begin to express how good it felt to do something that seemed so unattainable. Matt did most of the talking. He ran at my speed, which is way slower than his. He's a good 7-8 inches taller than me. I came home looking like I'd jumped into a swimming pool fully clothed and then walked in the door, I'm a sweater. But I did it! Our running didn't end there. We ran another morning and did 7 miles and the morning before he left we ran the steps at the McKinley monument. 12 times up and down plus a run up the grass next to the steps. I don't think I walked down stairs normally for at least a week. Best of all for me was being able to spend that time with my brother. It was completely comfortable. I didn't feel like I needed to meet some expectation he had set for me. I knew he and I both were just doing it for the experience and I hope to have the experience again. I'm not sure how long I will keep up this running but it may be motivating to try for a marathon just to run it with Matt. As a side note, it would have been fun to run with more of my family members. Maybe next reunion more of them will be willing and able.
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Running seems to be the thing to do these days. Jen's done 2 mini tri's now. Since your such a great swimmer you give it a try. I'm impressed you ran in spite of the humidity:)
Post a Comment