Saturday, December 27, 2008

Ice Skating

Today we went ice skating for the very first time. Nathan and I have both ice skated before, but being the neglectful parents that we are we have never introduced our children to this enriching activity. Dayton's comment was, "I thought it would be so much easier. I thought you could just glide." Mackenzie has been working extra hard since we got home to "build up her muscles for ice skating." And Lex isn't sure she wants "to ever do that again." "It was alright, but not my favorite thing to do." It was fun to watch them progress from clinging to the wall, to pushing around the orange cones, to bravely trying it on their own. I had hurt my hip earlier in the day, so I was the designated photographer. I froze. My feet were little Popsicles. Nathan was the stellar instructor/hold you while I skate around person. Dayton was the first to be done on the ice after 1 and 1/2 hours and he said to me, "Mom, why didn't dad show us how to skate really good?" I said, "Dayton, he did. He could skate around the rink without holding onto anything and he didn't ever fall." "No," Dayton says. "He didn't do any big jumps or anything." Apparently Nathan needs to work on his figure skating skills. I thought he looked great:-)
It was a great afternoon for a memory.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I'm so sorry about your darn hip. I wish it would stop causing you grief!

I'd also like to see Nathan do a few triple axles. :)

Natalie said...

Josh and I just went ice skating a couple of weeks ago and my ankles hurt so bad! It was fun trying to ice skate outside in Texas!! It looks like you guys had fun!

valerie said...

I can't believe how big your family is. Dayton looks so tall. I wish we were closer to play with you guys! I just love reading your blog. You are a great mother!

Shelly said...

Looks like lots of fun.