Friday, April 18, 2008

I feel the earth move under my BED????

We were awakened this morning at 5:38am by an unusual shaking of our entire bed and the crazy shaking of our ceiling fan. Nathan and I both flew out of bed and ran to the window to see if we were having some crazy storm but outside it is calm and peaceful. Crazy...EARTHQUAKE. Yep, earthquake. It was 5.4 on the Richter scale so not very big but enough to cause some alarm around here. There was little damage done and I felt another aftershock around 11:20am.
Dayton and Alexa had no idea anything unusual had happened when we woke them up a few hours later. Mackenzie said she woke up because she thought someone came into her room and was shaking her bed to wake her up but when she couldn't find anyone there she went back to sleep. I have experienced 2 earthquakes, that I can remember, in my life and the first was when I was in the 5th grade in Ohio. It was during the day because we were in school. The desks started shaking and the windows rattled really loud and everybody's pencil rolled off the desk. Crazy, who'd have thought living in the midwest would provide such grand adventure.

5 comments:

Puttin' Down Roots said...

And NO ONE likes to wake up to an earthquake!!! Believe me! I have experienced some real shakers! Glad you are okay. Isn't it funny how kids sleep thru things like that!

Kae said...

I am so glad you are ok. I can't believe you had an earthquake. How is Nathan liking his new job?

Tara said...

I love that song! I'll be singing it for the rest of the day!

Rebecca Banner said...

Good grief!
We felt one in ohio when nick was a few months old. Strange feeling.

Smith Party of Five said...

Hey Jamie, I'm tagging you! Check out my blog for more details!
-Ana