Friday, March 20, 2009

Surprise Visit

On Monday morning the phone rang and Mackenzie answered. It was grandma asking if she needed anything. Mackenzie, slightly perplexed, said, "no." My mom then told her she was on her way to our house. Mackenzie was so excited and screamed and then told Dayton who had been begging for grandma to come. They didn't want me to tell Alexa. She was at school. My mom was going to get here before Alexa got home from school so Mackenzie suggested she just hide until she and Dayton got home from school an hour later. Well, mom pulled in 10 minutes before Alexa's bus came. Lex got off the bus and looked at the car but didn't really pause. Then I watched her stop right behind the car, look at the license plate, get the biggest grin and run into the house straight into grandma's arms. It was priceless. The scene was repeated with Dayton and Mackenzie just a bit later. It was 5 days of fun. Just that peacefulness of having someone you love and loves you unconditionally around is something I treasure. Mom and I went to lunch, ran random errands and just spent time hanging around the house. It was great. When she left on Friday mid morning I got that yucky homesick feeling in my gut and was sad to have her gone.
I love the relationship I share with my mom. She is my friend, my fan, my mentor, my therapist, my counselor, and my greatest hero. I love that Alexa said, "Mom, when grandma comes our house smells like her, but mostly my bedroom because she sleeps in there." (By the way that is a good smell) Mackenzie chats to her hearts content and my mom listens to every word. Dayton gets downright sad when it comes time for her to leave and then figures out the exact number of days until we get to see her again. He is just like me. When my grandparents would come to visit I would cry and then ask my mom when we would get to see them again.
It was a great week and made me appreciate having a mom who loves me and Nathan and my kids unconditionally. My one wish is to be just a little bit like she is to me to my kids.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I was hoping from the title that you were surprise visiting US! but got tears because we feel the same way when Grandma visits--thanks for sharing.

Kae said...

I love surprise visits too. We had so much fun playing with your mom when she was here a few weeks ago.

Puttin' Down Roots said...

You have the coolest mom & you are so lucky that she is willing to drive to your house for surprise visits. Your kids are blessed with an awesome, fun Grandma. I'm glad you guys had fun together.

Sara said...

Hooray for Moms! Yours is especially wonderful. I'm glad she came to visit.

Jaime, you are as wonderful to your children. It's not hard to see that A, M, and D love you dearly.

valerie said...

I LOVE YOUR MOM TOO!!!! I hope I can be half the mom and grandma she is. I miss her. She is a special lady! Can you guys surprise visit me????

Shelly said...

Grandma's do rule! And I will concur that your mom is just awesome. Isn't nice having family w/in driving distance?