Saturday, March 28, 2009

Piano Solo

Mackenzie is in the third grade and this year the third graders preformed a darling show, "The Prince-less Princess." Before the show began some of the students were able to perform solos. There were guitar and piano solos. Mackenzie played "Taco Joe" and did an awesome job. She was the only one who didn't need to have music in front of her because she had the song memorized. We got to the show early and had the video camera all set up ready to record. As soon as she was getting ready to be introduced I pushed the record button only to discover that we were at the end of the tape. I quickly grabbed my digital camera but it doesn't record the sound. Darn it. Luckily, she will be performing in a piano recital at the end of next month and playing the same song so I will be prepared for that day.
A few days before the performance Mackenzie told me she was going to tell Mrs. Sheerer that she didn't want to play the song. Her reason: because the person introducing her was going to say something like, "If you like tacos then you'll enjoy Mackenzie playing Taco Joe." Mackenzie thought this was lame and she wanted no part of it. I think she was just a little bit nervous and this was a way to get out of it. I told her that when I was in the third grade at Plain Center I played a song in the school talent show and I was so nervous. My hands were sweating and I really didn't want to do it. I had a teacher tell me that one way to get rid of that nervous feeling is to imagine everyone in the audience was wearing their underwear. I thought that was ridiculous but the thought did distract me a little bit. I was still really nervous though. Mackenzie did a fantastic job and we are proud that she was willing to share her talent.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Makenzie looks so pretty with her hair like that. I but she sounded wonderful too. Don't you hate parent blunders with camera's on nights like these. When did Makenzie start piano lessons?

Puttin' Down Roots said...

That's great! I played in recitals when I was young...don't remember much except that I was NERVOUS!!! I don't like to play in front of people now, mainly because I'm not that good & never get to practice. It takes courage to play in front of others...way to go Makenzie! Congrats.

Sara said...

So did the announcer say anything silly?

I love that Mackenzie. She is so darling.

Caren said...

Way to go Mackenzie!! I love the sound of that song and I don't think of tacos at all! Just a spunky dance song :-)

Amy said...

Way to go Mackenzie! She's so talented and brave to share her talent. I wonder who she takes after.... :)