Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day and my Birthday


I remember as a kid that I would occasionally have to share my birthday with my dad. I think this is the first time it has happened since Nathan and I have been married and it was a great day. I really wanted Mexican food so we went out to eat on Saturday night and then Nathan and I both planned dinner for Sunday and I have to say YUMMY!! We had a pork roast that we grilled and it had the most amazing dry rub on it. Ultimate twice baked potatoes, cheddar biscuits, and an awesome turtle ice cream cake from Culver's. We played games with the kids, Cranium and Mafia. We were introduced to Mafia while at my family reunion. It is a game I remember playing on group dates while attending BYU but I had forgotten all about it. We played as adults at the reunion and my kids were up later than others so they were able to see a couple of rounds and really wanted to learn how to play....Each person except the narrator gets a piece of paper with an M, C, or D on it. There are only 2 D's (detective) and 2 M's (mafia), the rest are C's (citizen). After you have seen your letter you return the papers and close your eyes while the narrator tells you what to do. First the mafia open up their eyes and chose, quietly, someone to "kill". They then close their eyes and the detectives open up and chose who they think is the mafia. All then open eyes and the narrator tells everyone who was "murdered" by the mafia and then whether the guess made by the detectives is right or wrong. Then everyone proceeds to try and convince everyone else that they are a citizen. There is much confusion, loudness and lying that happens in this game but also lots of laughs. Dayton was the mafia the first time we played and Alexa accused him of being mafia. Dayton turns a little read, gets a huge smile on his face and says, "I can not tell a lie. I am mafia." We all burst into laughter and played several more rounds.

To end our day Nathan and I were able to participate in our new assignment. We are the Addiction Recovery Group Leaders in our stake and Sunday was our first meeting. It was a great experience and we are so excited to share such an amazing program with others.

So all in all I think we both had a good day. I am now one year older....yikes. Nathan is a great dad and we all appreciate everything he does for us. Happy Father's Day Nate. We love you.

2 comments:

As Time Goes By...Our Family Blog said...

Happy Birthday Jaime! I'm so glad you and Nathan had a great weekend! We sure are sad that we missed you guys while you were here....maybe next time! Love, Kim

The Miranda's said...

Oh I love Mafia! We played it in the singles ward almost every get together....I don't think anyone ever admitted they were Mafia though..: ) and HAPPY BIRTHDAY..again!