Friday, April 2, 2010

PAIN!!!

On Tuesday the 16th of March I was shaking out karate uniforms that had just come out of the dryer when I felt a sharp pain in between by shoulder blades. I rested, laid on some heat and hoped that I would feel better. Well that didn't happen. I felt awful for the rest of the week and into the weekend even after having seen a chiropractor and a massage therapist. Monday morning as I was bending over to help Dayton with his shoes and I felt the same sharp pain but this time in my lower back. Thinking back on it, I think this pain was worse. I had to stop moving and in my head I was thinking...."what am I going to do!" I have never been in so much pain before...ever. It was uncomfortable to sit. Laying and standing were somewhat bearable but I was in constant pain. I saw my doctor who put me on a prednesone 10 day pack, a muscle relaxer, and Valium. After 4 days of the drugs...I was still hurting. I kept thinking, why do people say Valium is so great, I can't tell a difference. After a week I finally started to feel the affects of the drugs and was starting to not feel my pain. By this time my mom had come to visit, but ended up taking care of me and my family and many dear friends brought us dinner. Without having an MRI there is not a way to know for sure what happened, but the guess is that I slipped a disc or herniated a disc in my lower back. Most likely my L5.


This is what I looked like most of the past 2 weeks. I still taught piano because I could stand for periods of time but when not standing I was laying down with a heating pad on my back...ahh, heat felt so good.



One of the hardest parts for me when not feeling well is the lack of attention and time I can give to my kids. What a blessing to have my mom here. Grandma is all that matters to my kids when she is here and it made my much needed rest and recovery so much easier. It was bitter sweet for me because I wanted to spend more time with my mom coherent but I am so grateful she was able to come. Thanks MOM! I am feeling better...not back to normal, but better. I feel like I have been beat up and have a lot of bruises on my body (none visible). I can sit now for periods of time and I'm trying to not overdo it. I'm grateful for a functioning, healthy body but also for the realization that I need to accept the offers of help given and not just think I need to offer help to others. I'm learning more and more as I get older how much more I have to learn.

5 comments:

Puttin' Down Roots said...

I'm glad you are starting to feel better. Hopefully this will not be a reoccurring problem for you. Your Mom is the best. Your kids have a great Grandma! Take care of yourself!!!

battraws said...

Sorry you've had so much pain! Back pain affects so much more than you ever realize until you have it. I hope you get it figured out and all better!

Sara said...

I'm so sorry! What a horrible thing! I hope you don't have that happen ever again. I'm glad your mom could come -- she is one great lady!

Love you! Miss you!

Kae said...

that is crazy, I am so sorry for you

Susan said...

BACK PAIN IS NO FUN! I hope you are feeling a lot better.